Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Okay, BMA, I do love you...



This is a silk painting I did a few weekends ago at the BMA's textile day. It was an incredible, FREE day of demonstrations and talks about fiber art. I fell in love, twice, that day. The first time was during the silk painting workshop-- I was in love with both the medium and fantastic, eccentric, seventy-year-old Egyptian woman teaching the course. The second time was during a needle felting demonstration. It is a simple art, like painting, but without the wait of drying layers, etc. I created a snail by stabbing a barbed needle through wool and yarn into a piece of felt. Katie F. and I both lost ourselves in the process and would have stayed at the table for the duration of the event if I hadn't looked up and noticed a line of children that wanted to try it out.

The event also featured lace makers (whoa), couture clothing, wire and bead work and batik.

A small side note, the streaks in the blue dye are from salt. You throw some onto the silk when the dye is wet. The salt absorbs the water and leaves that incredible speckle pattern.

2 comments:

Kate Wyer said...

Thank you very much! It's so simple-- you can find kits online for pretty cheap if you want to try it! I want to make some scarves or tank tops.

Kate Wyer said...

Ack- so sorry to leave your comment unattended! I've been out of it the last week or so. Anyway, thank you!! so nice to have you drop in :)