Wednesday, March 2, 2011

BMA's new photography exhibit, "Seeing Now"

Here is my favorite image from the show:

It is by Kenji Nakahashi. Strangely,I can't find much info on him online.I did find this second image-
It wasn't in the show, but it compliments the first image so well that I wanted to share it. It helps to show what I like about "Time -(B)" as well, the way he has fun with abstract concepts. The second photo is titled, "Difference in Time." The small print on it shows that the clocks are one foot apart, and thus, .00067 seconds apart. Time is on different planes, has different weights, has different measurements. I laughed out loud in the gallery-- he resonated with me in such an authentic way.

The show could have done more overall, though. It could have been... more diverse? I seem to always leave the BMA wishing that they took more risks. But, I think things are changing in a good direction (and I do go see each new show, that says something). Take this, for example:

Text Message/Poetry + Fiction
Saturdays, March 19–April 16 2–3:30 p.m.
$75 Members
$100 non-Members

Led by Baltimore writer Justin Sirois, this class will encourage experimentation, invite failure, and help writers of all stages refine their poetry and fiction. Activities are inspired by Seeing Now: Photography Since 1960, pop culture, video games, commercials, comedy, and film. To register, call 443-573-1832 or e-mail programs@artbma.org.


I'm also very interested in this:

Watching You: Surveillance Exposed
Sunday, April 3, 2 p.m.
FREE (space is limited*)

Learn about the role of photography in surveillance—from artists’ subversions of street cameras to exhaustive self-surveillance on the Internet—and explore the local and global impact of this topical issue during a panel discussion organized by award-winning Baltimore photographer and MICA faculty member Nate Larson. Program includes the culmination of a spring 2011 project involving MICA students.

*Tickets are required and available in-person at the BMA Box Office one hour prior to start time. Limit one ticket per person on a first come, first served basis. Reservations not accepted.

No comments: